Sunday, June 24, 2007

Last night was "the bomb"

I felt energized. It reminded me of when I was in uniform: the planning, the execution, the adrenalin.

Anyway, my neighbor had been arranging for an improvised explosive device. He finished it a couple of days ago, and we decided to place it last night.

Down on London Boulevard, they're redoing some of the road, making repairs and filling in holes. We decided to take advantage of it.

Now, I have to say that there haven't been many roadside IEDs in Portsmouth. The Constitutionalists have kept to other sorts of tactics. But they've decided that roadside devices, targeted to the roving patrols from the central government's armed forces.

Anyway, we struck out after dark, and after the curfew. We kept to the shadows. A couple of times we had to stop and hide to keep out of sight of passing patrols. Thankfully, there weren't any dismounted patrols. My neighbor had earlier picked out a spot near the other side of the Adbul-Qawi (formerly the Martin Luther King, Jr.) overpass; we got there between midnight and one, and we laid the charges and arranged the detonation system.

I was most impressed with the detonation system. The system involved several sensors, including three cameras allowing for remote viewing of the road leading to the detonation zone along with the one showing the detonation zone. Everything is wireless and digital, sending signals in quick bursts rather than analog and continuous like traditional radio. We set it up and then got back home by sunrise.

I was pretty excited, and glad that I have taken the step to become actively involved in helping get rid of the jihadists and other occupiers.

No comments: